Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reflecting On My Journey Through Infertility

Last Spring, I stumbled upon a video about infertility entitled "What IF?"

At the time when I first saw it, we were knee deep in grief over Peyton and had been trying desperately for nearly 9 months, without success, to achieve another pregnancy. The previous December, I had gotten the news that an infection from my c-section had left both of my tubes scarred beyond any usefulness, and that my only option, and not a guaranteed option at that, was IVF.

I was in shock.

For over a year after Peyton's birth I had complained to my doctor that I wasn't ovulating or menstruating. When she gave us the green light to try again last June, and I failed to conceive, I knew something was wrong. Through it all, my OB explained my infertility away as the result of me "grieving too hard." "If you don't get over this," she would tell me, "you will never get pregnant."

Lying alone and half naked on a steel table at the hospital, my unresponsive tubes glaring down at me from a monitor overhead, a sympathetic doctor delivered to me the news that I would never again be able to conceive on my own. "There is no justice in this world," she told me, taking a deep breath, and as she did, any last shred of hope that I had held onto for a family of my own, flowed out of my eyes and down my cheeks.

In that moment: grief stricken and infertile - I felt my life was over.

Discovering that I had lost my fertility after losing my only child undid several months of healing, and brought a million questions to my mind. Hard questions. Painful questions.

Was I still a woman if I couldn't conceive?
Was I still a mother if my only child was dead?
Was I still a Catholic if I was willing to pursue IVF when the church is so strongly against it?
Was I still a wife if I couldn't give my husband a family?
Were we still a couple if making love could never create a life?

For someone who just a year and a half prior had been a confident 28 year old, with a promising career, thriving social life, happy marriage, and first child on the way - the downward spiral of those 18 months took me to the darkest depths of my life. Everything I believed would be suddenly felt like a lie, and the truths that I was facing were hard to swallow:

I had lost our child.
I had lost our fertility.
I had lost our hopes.

That's not a typo. I HAD LOST these things, or at least that's how I felt. In my mind, the blame for all of our losses and failures, were mine and mine alone.

I don't know why I always viewed hubs in a different light than myself. In many ways, I saw him as a victim in all this. He had married me and I had failed to hold up my end of the bargain.

Maybe it was because our IF issues were with my body?
Maybe it was because when he proposed he told me he wanted to "grow old together and have lots and lots of children," and the realization I couldn't give him that made me pity him for staying with me?
Maybe it was because I was Peyton's mother, and our miscarried baby's mother, and mothers always blame themselves.

All I know is that when I stumbled across this video, it struck a deep chord with me. I had, for months, been asking myself many of the same questions posed in the video.

What IF I lost my sense of self to my infertility?
What IF I lost my sexiness to infertility?
What IF I lost my spouse to infertility?

What IF?
What IF?
What IF?

Today I was looking around on the internet, and once again came across this video. As I did, the tears came, but they were different somehow. Today I cried tears of gratitude. Though I had felt so sure just six months ago that infertility would beat me, today I realized that I have beaten infertility.

It took over a year of trying, months of hormone injections, the pain of twisting an ovary, Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome, 4 weeks of bed rest for the Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome, the heartbreak of learning our first cycle had failed, many, many, MANY hours of therapy to deal with the above mentioned feelings, facing a second cycle after failing the first with no explanation, a bleed that has kept me on bed rest since week 12 and in all likelihood will continue to keep me bed ridden for the next 20 or so weeks, tens of thousands of dollars, countless tears, fears and anxieties, and all the emotions that go into having a high risk pregnancy after loss, but I am here - pregnant - full of hope - and very grateful.

I guess that is why I am writing this post. To let others on their own infertility journey know that I get it. I have been there, at the bottom, the very bottom. I have questioned every aspect of myself, my worth, and my life. I have wondered if joy would ever again return to my heart. If I could ever give my husband a family. If I could ever survive this, and the answer is yes.

There is always a chance.

Sometimes we have to wrestle with these big questions to find our way, but in the end, we can all get there. For us, a couple who lost their fertility to birthing a dying child, our chance came with IVF. For others it comes with surrogacy, or IUI. Medications, or adoption.

I don't know what the future holds for us, but I do know that it is looking brighter once again, and that is something that once felt impossible.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that it is only when we open our eyes and our minds to all of the possibilities in front of us, even those that we fear or resent or are unsure of, that we can find pathways to hope.

Here is the video that had such an impact on me. I am sure for those of you haven't seen it before, or are viewing it a second time, you will feel it resonates at some level with you too. (Be sure to pause the music player in the right column of this blog to hear the video.)

10 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears... thank you for sharing the video, your journey, and your hope, we all need that hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so relate to what you're saying. My blog posting today is of a similar nature. Exactly a year ago today, 15th October, we found out I was miscarrying our 7th pregnancy, our 7th baby loss. When I went back and read my blog posting from the 15th October 2009, it has only one sentence on in it:
    "I wish I were dead!"
    But here I am a year later, still alive and finally at peace and having found joy. Finally a mother after an 8 year journey that ended suddenly when our daughter came to us through the miracle of adoption.
    I am a mother to a beautiful 10 month old baby girl after years of living in the deepest darkest pit of despair.
    I hope, that my story, like yours, can be a beacon of hope for so many crushed by infertile. That we can rise of the ashes of our grief and live joyful lives once again.
    Nobody knows when or how, but I have learned that our fortunes can change in the blink of an eye.
    All the best to you and your babies!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. So very much. It's good to know that there is healing "on the other side" of this thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have not struggled with infertility I can relate so much to viewing my husband in different light. I too view him as more of a victim in this. I wonder how different his life may be, maybe alot happier if he had not chosen me. I wonder how many children he would have...if he would have a little girl. How his life could be without grief. Although my pain is real, intense & at times unbareable I still have not let go that it was me, my body that failed our baby girl. I get those feelings you seem to share so well. No matter how many times I try to think differently I cannot seem to escape those hauntings thoughts & feelings.

    Enough about that...I think this post is amazing. I think it will touch so many women who are are behind you on the path of overcoming infertility. I think you have given a piece of hope for some to cling too. Beautifully written.

    Always thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want you to know that I'm thinking of you and Peyton. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe you can give a lot of people hope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing this. The fears of infertility are very real and they can completely take over your life. And unless you face infertility yourself, I'm not sure that you can really understand how devastating it is.

    I, too, have so much to be grateful for right now. Thanks for reminding me to focus on what is good in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THank you for sharing this. I have never since this video before. I too have struggled through infertility- starting with IUI cycles and ending up going through IVF. My first IVF cycle failed after developing hyperstimulation- I was hospitalized and too sick to attempt a fresh transfer. My first frozen cycle I achieved a pregnancy and miscarried after 6 weeks. My 3rd cycle was a success and although the pregnancy had complications- my son was born at 36w1d and is a happy healthy almost 16 month old little boy.

    Alot of people can not grasp the pain and agony that you experience while facing infertility. Hopefully making people more aware of infertility and the struggles that infertile couples face, will make people realize that they can not take things for granted.

    Again, thank you for posting this to make people more aware of the struggles that we go through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi there. thanks for sharing. i came across your blog via another (lori does maryland).

    this is so how i feel. i have been struggling with infertility and loss, and so have also had these same questions and deep grief.

    i don't if i can watch the video today as it already has been a 'weepy day' haha but i will save it for later. just wanted to say hi and thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete